Updated 5/30/19 with information about results 6 months and one year after treatment.
Who isn’t eager to find the easy way out? I certainly am. I have always been seduced by promises of rapid results that sound too good to be true. This time I think my dream has come true.
I attended a presentation on EMSCULPT® as a favor to the sales rep, as I had no intention of adding any more devices. Our office was getting tight on space, and if you saw the price, your head would spin.
I listened to the presentation, tried it myself, and thought “OMG, I can’t live without this!” After spending months on the wait list, my machine finally arrived.
Emsculpt uses highly focused electromagnetic waves delivered from paddles placed on your tummy or butt cheeks. The muscles are stimulated to contract at a speed and intensity you could never come close to on your own. On the tummy, the muscle cells are quickly depleted of energy and release hormones that act on the surrounding fat cells. The muscles hypertrophy and grow, and the fat layer thins because a build up of free fatty acids in the cells. When treating your derriere, the cycles are designed to add muscle without fat loss so you tone and lift.
Several studies on the abdomen have been performed and measurements have been done using ultrasound, CT Scan, MRI, and digital photography. Patients had four 30 minute cycles done on the abdomen within 2 weeks time, and quite consistent findings have shown an increase in muscle mass of about 16%, fat layer decrease of 19%, and loss of more than 1.7 inches of waist circumference. Results looked even better at 6 months, and at one-year muscle mass increase was even better at 19%, and fat layer reduction was slightly less at 14.6%.
The buttock treatments are done using a different protocol to specifically build muscle while still preserving fat. An MRI study at one month following 4 treatments showed a muscle volume increase of 10.6%, mostly in the upper portion of the gluteus maximus muscle, creating the lift effect. At one month 85% of patients noted a significant improvement, with 80% saying they felt more lifted and toned. Best candidates are probably thinner patients with a flatter tush.
Dr. Folk’s Opinion
In my opinion the benefit is added strength. Yes fat loss is cool too, but a stronger tighter core effects how you stand and if you can suck it in. Even with the buttock treatments, it seems the visible changes are more about a noticeably improved posture.
Are even more treatments better? We do know that 4 treatments work, even at a year. I certainly felt ready for another couple of treatments after a few months to wake up my muscles again before vacation. People are even doing treatments monthly. Feeling strong, especially after those creaky joints start to complain with age, is fabulous physically and mentally.
Who are NOT good candidates?
- If you are pregnant, have a pacemaker or cochlear implant it is an absolute contraindication.
- Metal implantable devices in or near the treatment site are also a contraindication (like joint replacements, plates and screws, metal IUDs, Essure, and surgical staples).
- Hernias or previous repairs could be affected by the treatment. It is best to wait 3-6 months from any surgery in the vicinity.
- Noninvasive technologies produce small changes, so if you are overweight or obese, save your money. BMIs over 26 might want to research other ways to reach their goals.
Who are good candidates?
- If you can already see your six-pack, take it to the next level!
- If you work out, but just aren’t seeing the results in the belly, this can crank your core.
- Out with an injury? Don’t lose, but even improve on all of your hard work.
- Physical limitations keep you from exercising the way you need to? This doesn’t hurt or strain your back or joints. I think our more “mature” candidates are going to love this as much as elite athletes, if not more.
- New baby and no time for yourself? Get your body back faster. Has it been a few years? It’s not too late.
- Coolsculpting, liposuction results, and even tummy tucks can now be taken to the next level!